How a turbine connects to your off grid system
The wind is free and Wind Turbines generate power whenever the wind blows (no sun no problem)
Things to consider
There are a few things to consider when choosing a Wind Turbine to supplement your power requirements:
- Living in a Town or City – Check with your local city council first before installing a turbine to make sure they allow them in your area.
- Your Existing systems – Check the size and voltage of your battery system, to make sure it’ll handle what’s coming out of the turbine you choose. Most of the time the wind controller can be ordered to match your existing system voltage.
- Where to put your new turbine? – The turbines are normally mounted on a Pole (we can supply this or your local handyman will be able to put this together for you)
- Do you have the free air space to put up a turbine without it being in turbulent air? i.e. 6 meters up and above and trees and buildings and ideally 100M away from any structure, so as to get clean laminar airflow and peak performance.
- Average wind speed in your area – If you are in a low wind speed area, you may need a five-blade turbine if you are thinking of taking one of the smaller units. You will find valuable information on a site called Windy, put your location in on the site to see what your area is currently doing, here is the link: Windy.com
The Turbine you choose is largely dependent on what you have or are planning to have in the way or renewable energy on the property, we mostly carry 48V systems are these are what the majority of people are asking for to connect to their Solar systems. But saying that we have many customers still asking for 12V and 24V turbines for some of the smaller installations.
Our Turbines are listed in the online shop which you can see by going to this link https://www.windandsolar.co.za/shop/
If you have any questions or are unclear about anything at all please, by all means, ask us, we’ll be happy to give you the advice.